I love pumpkin anything, anytime, anywhere. I make this year round, but thought it would be pretty festive for this time of year.
I had never really used pumpkin in anything other than desserts like pumpkin pie, muffins, bread, cookies and other similar sweets. My sister in law suggested I try Rachel Ray’s pumpkin pasta which I really liked. Then, I made some of my own changes and now it’s one of my favorites. Even my extremely picky husband loves this pasta.
- 8oz Can of Pumpkin Puree
- 1lb Hot Italian Sausage
- 6 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Medium Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup 1% or 2% Milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 Bag (5oz) of Shredded Parmesan
- 1 Box of Whole Grain Penne Pasta
- Brown sausage in large skillet. When cooked, place in paper towel lined bowl. Empty grease from pan.
- Start boiling water for pasta.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Saute garlic and onion for about 5 minutes or until onions are softening.
- Add sage and wine to pan, allow to get hot. Then add chicken stock and pumpkin and mix together. After it starts bubbling, add the sausage back to the skillet.
- Reduce to medium heat and add milk, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and oregano to the sauce. Simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Mix pasta with sauce in large pot. Add entire bag of Parmesan cheese unless you want to save some for garnish.
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! Pasta is ready. Enjoy and let me know how it turns out!